Welcome to Historic St. John's, where liberty found its voice. We are glad you are here. Please check our guest policies and let us know if you have any questions.
* Press and Film Inquiries please review our Media Policies.
Photo, Film, and Audio Policy
Photos for personal use are permitted inside the church after your tour, or after the reenactment has finished.
There is ABSOLUTELY no filming nor photography during a public or private Liberty or Death Reenactment or during a Guided Tour.
There is ABSOLUTELY no audio recording permitted during a Liberty or Death reenactment or during a Guided Tour.
Aerial photography of St. John's Church by drones, or any similar remote-controlled vehicle/ flying device, is not permitted on the property without prior approval.
Bag Inspection Policy and Prohibited Items
There is no food, drink, gum, strollers, backpacks or firearms permitted inside the church.
There are no large bags allowed inside the church. Any and all bags are subject to inspection. Please leave backpacks and bags inside your vehicle.
The following items are strictly prohibited:
- Weapons/firearms, except qualified law enforcement.
- Knives/blades longer than 3.5 inches.
- Clubs, hammers, martial arts devices, and related items.
- Flammable liquids and gases greater than 0.5 oz.
- Fireworks, ammunitions, explosive devices, and related materials.
- Paint and related marking materials; spray cans and aerosols.
- Food and beverage.
Guest Costume Policy
Individuals or groups who wish to wear period costumes on site are asked to observe and adhere to the following guidelines:
- Guests may not portray or resemble Patrick Henry, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, or any of our colonial delegates.
- Guests may not, in any form, interpret or perform for other St. John's guests, outside of their party or group.
- Guests may not act, or appear to act, as a representative of St. John's Church Foundation.
- St. John's Church Foundation reserves the right to refuse access to guests in costume if deemed inappropriate or distracting, as determined by SJCF staff.
DOG Visitation Policy
There are no dogs allowed inside the church unless they have a Service Animal license.
- Guests are welcome to bring dogs on leashes to the graveyard during daytime hours.
- Pet owners must stay with their leashed pets at all times.
- Pet owners must pick up and properly dispose of any waste.
- Pet owners are asked to be respectful of other guests, maintaining a safe and comfortable distance from others, and to discourage excessive barking.