Preserving Historic St. John's Church is our pillar goal. With funds raised through our educational programs, daily tours, and donations from grants, foundations and individuals like you, we have been able to undertake several crucial projects in the past 3 years alone.
- In 2015 our massive summer long roof replacement was completed after a two-year $483,000 fundraising effort.
- In 2016 St. John’s Church Foundation raised $70,000 to repair the north corner foundation and to repair deteriorated floor framing.
- We continue to assess the sounding board and are now in the process of restoring it to its original appearance.
Donations or bequests for specific projects are welcomed.
Recently Completed Projects
2016 north foundation underpinning
Work Phase: November - December 2016
In summer of 2015 Structural Engineer John Matteo gave the Foundation a warning: the deteriorating north corner foundation needed to be addressed within 2 years. With the help of many foundations and individuals, we raised $70,000 to underpin the foundation and to repair deteriorated floor framing. The project was completed in December 2016.
We are forever grateful to our donors that made this crucial structural repair possible!
- The Morgan Foundation
- The Richard Gwathmey and Caroline T. Gwalthmey Memorial Trust
- The Beirne Carter Foundation
- Gayle and Randy Randol
- Countless donations from individuals
2015 Roof replacement
In 2013 the Legacy of Liberty Preservation Project: Phase 2 was launched. Over the next 2 years, St. John's Church Foundation raised a total of $483,000, allowing us to replace leaking roofs on the church, the parish hall, and boiler house; paint the church and parish hall exteriors; repair and replace the church shutters; make plumbing repairs; as well as to conduct structural analysis of the roof and foundation.
Work Phase: March - September 2015
We are forever grateful to our donors that made this project possible.
- Burcham Family Fund
- Robert G. Cabell III and Maude Morgan Cabell Foundation
- Ruth Camp Campbell Foundation
- Beirne Carter Foundation
- Garland and Agnes Taylor Gray Foundation
- Thomas F. Jeffress Memorial
- Nocero Family Foundation
- Robins Foundation: Director Initiated Grant by Mr. Lewis T. Booker
- Roller-Bottimore Foundation
- William, H., John G. & Emma Scott Foundation
- Titmus Foundation
- Windsor Foundation Trust
- Countless individual donors